As more and more of us shop at Whole Food Markets and have become aware of the importance of eating clean and organic foods we are naturally moving toward foods that have the potential to make us incredibly healthy! Super foods are not new, as a matter of fact; they all go back to ancient times. We are just rediscovering what our ancestors knew instinctively.
Super foods are natural food sources with highly concentrated, complex supply of high quality nutrients with the least negative properties. The magazines are pushing them as diet aids, the truth is they are not always low in calories, but, for the number of calories present, they are always high in nutrients. They are an excellent addition to any healthy diet
Super foods should not be the only part of your diet. A really healthy diet would include a combination of live, raw plant foods, super herbs and super foods. Super foods can help nourish the brain, muscles, bones, organs, immune system and hair, skin and nails. They also correct imbalance in the diet. The ultimate goal would be to be able to quit taking vitamin and mineral supplements and actually get these nutrients from your foods.
Super foods include:
Camu Camu Berry
Adaptogen: A plant based substance with combined therapeutic actions in the human body. An adaptogen strengthens and invigorates the system while helping the body to deal more easily with stress of differing origin by supporting the adrenal glands. Adaptogens are believed to reinforce the non-specific power of resistance of the body against physical, chemical or biological noxious agents. They must also have a normalizing influence and may not be harmful or alter the bodies’ normal functions.
Antioxidants: A substance that reduces damage due to oxygen. Think rust or an apple turning brown.
HGH: Human Growth Hormone, Growth hormone is produced by the pituitary gland to fuel childhood growth and help maintain tissues and organs throughout life. Our growth hormone slows as we age.
Polysaccharides: A carbohydrate whose molecules consist of a number of sugar molecules bonded together that fortify the immune system.
Sesquiterpenoids: A class of Terpenes that have anti-inflammatory properties. They increase production of HGH by stimulating the pituitary and penal glands.
Have questions? Comment below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Karen Davis is a health coach, life coach, Reiki II practitioner, a Hormone Cure coach, aromatherapist, and a detox & longevity specialist. Karen graduated from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition in New York City, The Life Coach Institute, and the Aromahead Institute. She is also certified by the American Association of Drugless Practitioners and has studied the Hormone Cure with Dr. Sara Gottfried. Her approach to health focuses not only on the foods you put into your mouth but also incorporates the elements of body, mind and spirit. She has a thriving health & life coaching practice.
To find out more about her programs visit http://www.HolisticWellnessForWomen.com
Coconut oil can be used for a lot of things.
You can cook with it not only does it tastes delicious and the health benefits are astounding!
Coconut oil is great in showers. It is a great cleanser as well as a moisturizer. You can also keep it on your nightstand as a moisturizer. There is a lot to be said for anything that is chemical free that we can use on our bodies. There are some people who use coconut oil on their faces.
Coconut oil is great to massage into your scalp. It is nice for the hair and the skin.
Coconut oil is great in raw food recipes:
- You can use 1 tsp of coconut oil daily in my morning smoothie. It gives it such a nice texture and it is so good for you. (below)
- You can use coconut oil in raw protein bars. It gives them a lovely texture, flavor and holds them together nicely.
- You can use coconut oil in treats, i.e. chocolate, mushroom, chia pudding (for immunity and strength) with a teaspoon of coconut oil in to add smooth creaminess too.
- You can add coconut oil in hot tea with a pinch of raw cacao for a special treat as well.
- You can even use coconut oil with cashews and stevia to make a delicious frosting.
There are a lot of ways to use coconut oil there are even more reasons why you should.
Coconut oil has lauric acid, caprylic acid, capric acid. These acids give it antimicrobial, antifungal, antibacterial and antioxidant abilities. It is mostly saturated fat, 92% with a small percentage being mono unsaturated and poly unsaturated. Coconut oil is a healthy fat.
Some of the benefits that are attributed to coconut oil include (but not limited to):
- Weight loss
- Heart disease
- Healing and infections
- Kidney stones
- Liver disease
- Bone loss
- Tooth decay
- Hormone regulation
“Coconut oil has fewer calories than any other fat source. Unlike the high-calorie, cholesterol-soaked, long-chain, saturated animal fats found in meat and dairy products, coconut cream and coconut oil are made of raw saturated fats containing mostly medium-chain fatty acids that the body can metabolize efficiently and convert to energy quickly.”(Wolfe, 2009)
Coconut oil also helps to regulate blood sugar. It is one fat that diabetics can eat without fear.
I’d like to share a funny story about coconut oil and weight loss is from the 1940′s. Coconut oil was used by some farmers to help fatten up their cows however; the opposite happened the cows actually became leaner.
Coconut oil is useful for bone and dental health because it improves calcium and magnesium absorption. This is good for dental health. It is especially beneficial to women who are at the age to develop osteoporosis.
When you go to order or purchase your coconut oil this is what you should look for:
organic-raw-extra virgin-cold pressed.
There is also coconut water, shredded coconut and coconut butter!
One of my all-time favorite ways to use coconut oil is in oil pulling. Have you tried it? It’s amazing!!!
HOW TO DO OIL PULLING:
Put 1-2 teaspoons of organic coconut oil into the mouth
Swish for 5-20 minutes
Spit oil into the trashcan
Rinse well with warm sea salt water to release all the bacteria and toxicity in your mouth
Brush your teeth
Add coconut oil to your household, you will not be sorry!
Do you feel like your food is just sitting in your stomach for hours after you eat? Or is the opposite happening, and you are running to the bathroom before you have even finished your meal? You are not alone, and there are things you can do improve the situation. Here are ten steps to take now to get things moving properly through your gut:
- Food Combining – When foods are combined properly, they do not sit in your stomach and rot. That rotting food feeds the bad bacteria and yeast that everyone has residing in their digestive tract. To combine food, you eat protein with vegetables or grains with vegetables, never proteins & grains together. Also, fruits should be eaten alone on an empty stomach.
- Fermented Foods – These are naturally fermented foods such as kefir, sauerkraut, pickles, etc., that, when eaten, will feed the good bacteria in your gut and balance your inner ecology.
- Enzymes and Probiotics – I suggest that everyone take digestive enzymes and probiotics to help with the digestion of their food and build up their immunity.
- Water – We all know we need to drink plenty of water. A little known Ayurvedic trick is to drink a glass of water 15 minutes before your meal. This will get your digestive juices flowing and your food will get digested better.
- 80/20 Rule – This rule is to eat until you are 80% full. That leaves 20% of the room left in your stomach for your digestion to work. No one likes that uncomfortable full feeling and your tummy will thank you if you stop just before you are full.
- Eat Loads of Fiber – Your body needs fiber to carry out toxins, excess hormones, and junk. Eating lots of water-soluble fiber, found in veggies, will ensure that you get plenty of fiber. Just don’t forget step #4! Drink lots of water, too, so that you don’t end up with bulky stool.
- Short Fasting Period – Don’t worry, I am not suggesting that you don’t eat for a day. What I am suggesting is that you take some time between meals. Give your system about 3 or 4 hours to let the food get assimilated. When your gut is constantly bombarded by food all day long, it gets confused and doesn’t work properly. Give it some time to work on that last meal before you head to the kitchen for a snack.
- Cut Sugar and White Carbohydrates – These foods will feed the bad guys in your gut. Avoid them for less gas and bloating – and you don’t want the insulin spike that comes with them either.
- Gluten – A large percentage of Americans are gluten intolerant and do not know it. Try going without and see if your digestion works any better.
- Bone Broth – The #1 most soothing and healing drink that you could ever ingest. Homemade bone broth contains all of the nutrients you need to heal your gut if it is leaky and also provides the minerals you need for strong bones. It’s a win-win, must-consume food!
If you incorporate some or all of the tips, you will ease in to better digestion and the tummy troubles will disappear. 🙂
Be well & Inspired!
Your Wellness Warrior
Unless you have been living under a rock for the last few years, you would have no doubt heard about the amazingness of juicing. But did you also know that a juice elixir can also be a healthy and safe way to lose weight? When drunk in complement to an existing weight-loss plan, juicing provides a high level of quality nutrition, which will assist in weight-loss. Read on to find out how.
- Easy Digestion
One of the best benefits of juicing fresh fruit and vegetables is that drinking them (as opposed to eating them) makes them really easy for your body to digest. If you are to juice say a couple of tomatoes, celery, cucumber, spinach, and carrot, you will make a delicious and easy to drink fresh vegetable cocktail that will provide a huge amount of nutritional benefits to your body. If you were to actually consume those same vegetables raw, from a plate, in one sitting, you would find the process to be quite difficult. It would take a lot of effort to eat and digest the same quantity of food. But by juicing those vegetables, you get to drink in one glass a dense quantity of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients really easily.
- Reduction in Cravings
When you drink a glass of freshly made vegetable or green juice, you are loading every cell of your body with detoxifying minerals. By drinking your veggies and fruit, you are giving your body all the amazing nutrients that it needs to heal, stay healthy, and reduce the risk of illness. In turn, you will also find that you experience a reduction in cravings, particularly for sweets or processed foods. This is because you are feeding your body all that it needs. Your body won’t be sending messages to your brain that make you crave particular foods that contain certain minerals or vitamins that you might otherwise lacking. It is in this way that you will start to lose weight, often quite quickly. You simply won’t be eating the bad foods that make you gain weight, and you won’t feel like you are even depriving yourself of these foods like you might if dieting.
- Tasty Fuel
It is also handy to know that green juices taste great! You can make your juice really flavorful by adding in lemon, mint or ginger to really add a tasty punch to your juice. You will enjoy the flavors of the juice so much that you will choose to make a juice rather than eat another less healthy snack food. It is also worth noting that juice you make at home on your own is a much better option than that which is store bought. Fresh juice made with a base of vegetables is going to contain much more nutrition than the kind that comes from a carton. Even fresh, store-bought juices will often have sugars and other additives as well as preservatives added to the juice. This kind of juice means you are drinking a lot of unnecessary calories. On the other hand, a homemade vegetable and fruit juice delivers nothing but goodness that is healthy fuel for your body.
- Filling Snack or Dessert
Another amazing thing about juicing is that by drinking a freshly made juice, your appetite shuts off. This is because your body (which is amazing at knowing just what it needs!) is getting all that it is looking for. You will feel satisfied and satiated, much more than you would by eating empty calories in junk food. Your body will feel revitalized, not sluggish or heavy, and instead of searching for more food even after you have just eaten something, you will find that you don’t really want or need anything more.
- It is not a fad diet
Once you start making juicing a regular part of your lifestyle, and start to experience all the health benefits and begin losing weight without a struggle, you will realize that incorporating fresh juicing into your life is definitely not a diet fad. Unlike regimented diets that are difficult to follow and which can often make you gain weight, juicing works in such a remarkable way that you will want to include juicing in your life forever. Unlike fad diets, you will never feel deprived or hungry. Not only that, but other aspects of your health will also improve. You might notice your skin is clearer, your eyes are brighter, and your nails and hair grow more quickly. You will also have more energy and you will start to feel amazing. Juicing will seriously become a way of life you will want to follow forever!
- You invest in your health
In order to start juicing regularly, you will need to invest in a juicer, which initially will mean setting aside a bit of money. You might feel like this is an expense you don’t want to have, but by making that purchase, you are committing to your health and weight loss. It gives you a reason to stick to the concept of juicing for long enough that you will start to notice the difference in how you feel. It is also an investment in your health and well-being, so not only does juicing help you to lose weight, but it will save you money in medical fees in the future.
- Fun and Variety
In order to lose weight and to stay motivated, life needs to be fun, right? Juicing is the ideal way to bring this into your life. As you start to get into juicing, you will find it great fun making new combinations of fruit and vegetables cocktails. You will make all kinds of unique and interesting drinks, and you will find that you never get bored from the endless variety of beverages that you can make for yourself and others. You will also want to share these drinks with others, which will also mean getting encouragement and support from those around you as you continue your weight-loss goals. Support is super important when it comes to making, and sticking to, healthy changes in your life.
Really, juicing is a fabulously fun, easy, and healthy way to shed those unwanted pounds without any struggle or deprivation. You have got nothing to lose by starting to make green juicing a regular part of your lifestyle. To get you started, here is a delicious and easy juice to kick-start your weight-loss:
Trim and Delicious Green Juice
½ beetroot (peeled)
1 rib celery
1-inch piece of ginger
Run the vegetables through your juicer and enjoy!
Please visit my website for more great recipes http://www.lifeoficoaching.com
Be well & Inspired,
Your Wellness Warrior