We live in a funny society. We treasure slim, thin, skinny and we dole out mountains of processed snack, junk and fast foods. We sit around and watch television instead of getting up and walking to the park or grocery store.
In our society, it seems like it is a constant obsession to try to get fit yet all the time reverting back to the food and entertainment forms that are so prevalent. Every single family get together, every holiday, every celebration is centered on food and drink. Most of the time gluttonous food and drink!
So, when we start to become unhappy with the way we look (no one associates their illness or sluggishness with food) we start cutting calories. Every New Year the diet industry pulls out all the advertising plugs, because every New Year we resolve to lose all the weight we put on the years before. Diet pills, replacement shakes, artificial sweeteners, surgeries, magazines and fad diets. The problem is, these things all make our problem worse. We may lose weight quickly at first but we lose muscle at the same time and then gain back all fat, which is not so good.
Then we are minus the muscle and plus more fat.
If you want to lose weight and keep it off, look to people who have successfully done it. You will notice that they did not use diet pills, meal replacement shakes or fad diets.
14 Proven ways to lose weight for good:
- Eat breakfast
- Eat all day long
- Drink more water
- Eat at home
- Eat whole foods
- Reduce stress
- Get a good night’s sleep
- Get moving
- Keep a journal
- Eat some good, high quality protein
- Take a vitamin supplement
- Eat more vegetables
- Give up the “c”‘s – cakes, cookies, candy & chips
- Do a kitchen makeover and get the unhealthy foods that tempt you out of your house.
What do you think of skipping the fad diets?
Throw away the diet pills! (You can throw away your sleeping pills at the same time! 2 for 1!) Start eating healthy!
If you want to lose weight, eat more green vegetables and less simple carbohydrates. Give up the “C”‘s – cakes, cookies, candy and chips! Once those are out of your house and your life you WILL lose weight.
This is what you get to eat:
- Fruits and vegetables
- Whole grains
- High quality protein
- Small amounts of healthy fat (coconut oil, avocado)
Quit going to McDonalds and Burger King .
Try these great tips, then come back and leave a comment (will probably take 24 hours) about how good you feel!
Be Well & Inspired!
Superfoods are a special category of foods found in nature. By definition, they are sparse in calories and dense in nutrients, meaning they pack a lot of punch for their weight as far as goodness goes. They are superior sources of antioxidants and essential nutrients we need but cannot make ourselves.
The most important thing for everyone to know is that superfoods are easy to find in every local supermarket. They’re worth looking for!
Top 10 Superfoods:
6) Kiwi Fruit
8) Sweet Potatoes
10) Wild Salmon
These nutritional, powerhouse foods are loaded with nutrients crucial to a healthy, long life.
If you can include a variety of them in your diet every day, I promise they will change your life!
I have also included a few of my favorite superfoods that you may or may not have tried:
Ancient cultures throughout Central America have long enjoyed chia seeds as a key part of their food and medicine. The seeds were even used as currency. Chia seeds are loaded with omega fats, protein, antioxidants, and dietary fiber. They have a mild nutty flavor and, since they absorb liquid, they’re ideal for hydration and feeling full. Check out this recipe for Chia Pudding: https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9492/vegan-recipe-banana-strawberry-chia-pudding.html
Hemp is a well-balanced, vegetarian protein source that includes all of the essential amino acids. Not only is hemp one of the best veggie sources of protein, it’s easy for the body to digest and assimilate. Hemp also features plenty of other nutrients, including abundant fiber, chlorophyll, vitamins, and omega-3 and -6 essential fatty acids. Sprinkle hemp seeds on salads and add them to smoothies for added protein. Just 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds will add 11 grams of protein to your smoothie.
Raw Cacao Nibs:
Nature’s chocolate chips
Cacao nibs are made from pure cacao beans that come straight out of the tropical cacao fruit. Cacao was a culinary treasure to Mesoamericans for thousands of years and touted as the “Food of the Gods” for its superior nutritional profile and exceptional flavor. Make a trail mix with shredded coconut, raw cacao nibs, dried cranberries, and a nut of your choice.
Maca is a potent, ancient Peruvian superfood highly prized by Incan warriors to increase stamina, boost libido, and combat fatigue. The maca root was prized throughout the Incan empire for its adaptogenic-like qualities that enable it to nourish and balance the body’s delicate endocrine system and to help cope with stress. It also energizes naturally, without the jitters and crashes of caffeine, and it can aid in reproductive function, helping to balance hormones and increase fertility. Add maca to smoothies for an extra energy boost.
Goji Berries: Goji Berries provide a number of important macronutrients, including carbohydrates, protein, healthy fats, and soluble fiber. There’s even more to this sweet, little, red berry including 18 amino acids, free-radical fighting antioxidants, carotenoids, vitamins A, C, and E, and more than 20 other trace minerals and vitamins including zinc, iron, phosphorus, and riboflavin (B2). Ounce-for-ounce, goji berries contain more vitamin C than oranges, more beta-carotene than carrots, and more iron than soybeans and spinach. Munch on these goodies as your afternoon snack.
Give one of these superfoods a try today to super charge your day!
Your Wellness Warrior
You may have heard the news…the avocado crops are suffering from the crazy weather this winter. We’ll still be able to find them in stores, but we can also expect to pay more for them. And, they are totally worth it!
- I love that your decadence tastes sinfully delicious, yet it’s the “healthiest” of fats.
- I love that you make my skin beautiful. The antioxidants in avocados help to get rid of toxins that promote premature aging and wrinkling of the skin. A lot of the toxins on your facial skin are the residue of makeup. Applying 1 mashed avocado as a facial mask and leaving it on for about 20 minutes before rinsing will help to remove these toxins and soften the skin. I promise, in the end, you will not look like the Wicked Witch of the West.
- I love to use you as a spread on my Ezekiel bread toast with a sprinkle of pink Himalayan sea salt, and red pepper flakes.
- I love that you make my hair shiny. One avocado mashed and mixed together with 1 egg and your favorite essential oil is great for conditioning your hair. The healthy oils in the avocado help to moisturize and soften dry and brittle hair, and the vitamin E helps to restore a natural shine to your hair. To obtain these benefits simply massage the avocado and egg mixture into your hair and scalp and leave in for about 20 minutes. Then wash and condition with your favorite shampoo and conditioner.
- I love to use you in my salads. Any kind of salad.
- I love to use you on my sandwiches in place of mayonnaise.
- I love that you complete me. Avocados provide all 18 essential amino acids necessary for the body to form a complete protein. Unlike the protein in steak, which is difficult for most people to digest, avocado protein is readily absorbed by the body, because avocados also contain fiber. If you are trying to cut down on animal sources of protein in your diet, or if you are a vegetarian or vegan seeking more protein, avocados are a great nutritional ally to include not merely as an occasional treat, but as a regular part of your diet. Highest protein content of any fruit (yes, it’s a fruit).
- I love to use you in my smoothies to add some creamy richness.
- I love to scramble you in my egg white omelet.
- I love that you help me with my ABCs. While avocados have a high caloric count (one avocado is 320 calories), the various nutrients and “healthy” fats make it a must-eat. They are an alphabet of vitamins. One avocado provides your body with vitamins A, C, E, K and B6, along with an enormous amount of potassium and “healthy” fat. Perhaps the biggest health benefit of avocados is that by adding avocado to certain foods, you can improve your absorption of nutrients. This means that when you combine other fat burning foods with avocado, you can improve your nutrient absorption up to 400%!
Oh, yes, I truly do love you.